Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Pumpkin Puree

Despite temps hovering near 100 degrees here in Arizona, it is Fall and I am making the most of it. We run our AC low and I still serve soup for dinner. Ü Today I woke up in the mood for something pumpkin (Mmmm, I love pumpkin!) and I decided to whip up a batch of Kim's pumpkin bars. I never used canned pumpkin and instead make my own pumpkin puree using Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond's super easy method.

I've seen several variations on how to roast and puree pumpkin. Some involve water, or roasting at a higher temperature, or even a lower temperature for a really long amount of time. Ree's directions are simple and easy and I haven't had a bad batch yet! Check out her site for a picture tutorial, but here are the basics...

* Cut the top off of a pie pumpkin
* Cut the pumpkin in half
* Scrape the seeds and strings out of the middle
* Cut in quarters
* Lay quarters on a baking sheet, cut sides up
* Roast in a 350* oven for 45 minutes
* Remove skin
* Throw in the food processor
* Freeze puree or use to make whatever fall yummies you would like


No comments:

Post a Comment